Implementing the right systems the right way
Digital systems, such as enterprise resource planning (ERP), are nowadays an indispensable means of processing information and controlling all the company’s resources. The targeted digital processing of data opens up great efficiency potential for companies. At the same time, it is easy to collect key figures that make the company’s success measurable.
In practice, companies are often faced with the challenge of correctly aligning business processes and IT systems. If there are discrepancies, this often manifests itself in unnecessary extra work, workarounds and, in many cases, mistrust in the system’s support of daily work.
This challenge was also faced by our customer, a technology leader in the field of special machine construction. The growth course they had embarked on led to constantly high employee workloads. It became increasingly clear that the current ERP system provided little support for daily work. Fully integrated digital process support was not within reach. Together with Dr. Schönheit + Partner (S + P), the mechanical engineering company decided to prepare the introduction of a new ERP system. Following our holistic approach, we first ensured that process and system were the best possible fit. Together with the customer’s project team, we therefore first optimized the order-to-cash process, i.e. the complete order processing, before selecting the appropriate ERP system:
- Analysis of actual processes and examination of potentials
- Review of the IT landscape with regard to consolidation potential
- Definition of a future target process for order processing
The defined target process served as the basis for the search for the optimum system and system house. From the outset, care was taken to be able to map as many target processes as possible in common system standards, thus avoiding costly additional programming. S + P supported the customer holistically until the final implementation of the new ERP system:
- Market analysis with regard to suitable systems and providers
- Specification for the target system
- Support in the selection of the appropriate system provider
- Active implementation of the new target process hand in hand with the implementation of the new ERP system
S + P’s holistic approach ensures that companies get the systems they actually need. Compared to a simple system implementation without simultaneous process optimization, the intensive analysis and design of the target process brought our customer significant advantages:
- 75 % fewer manual process steps
- 80 % less change of responsibility
- 50 % fewer manual information paths and documents
- Integration of existing IT stand-alone solutions into the future overall system
Are you also facing the challenge of converting or newly introducing digital systems in your company? Would you like to take this step as an opportunity maker for the digital age and benefit from our expertise? Feel free to contact us with your specific task.